Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pierre

I tell people that the official farm dog of Connecticut is the poodle, and I believe it with all my heart because of Pierre. He's a mini-poodle, but we don't hold that against him.

Mary likes poodles, and it's seeped into me. I love Pierre. I love his bigger cousins, his smaller cousins, and anything crossed with his cousins. I never thought that I'd be a "Poodle Person," but I am. And I'm proud of it. I get defensive when people call them "froofy dogs"; you mean to tell me a hunting dog is "froofy"? I'm patient and tolerant when people actually take the time to listen and learn about the purpose of the "poodle cut".


Poodles are smart. Super smart! They learn rules quickly and retain the knowledge. After years of Pierre I can't imagine a lab as a farm dog. They're too slow, too clumsy. Pierre is light on his feet and knows more commands than my nephew does. When we take him to fairs to set up he knows to stay under the tent and near the truck. I told him one year to "stay close" and he spent half an hour whining at the edge of the tent, staring at the high school girls that wanted to pet him. A simple, "Fine, go Pierre" and he took off towards them like a rocket. They pet him for a few minutes and he came back to lay in the shadow of the truck, completely satisfied with himself.


I like a poodle with a simple kennel clip. I like a sleek head, and in the winter a puffy tail. I make no illusions that the "poodle cut" is cute, though I have the utmost respect for the groomer that can do it well. I am comfortable trading a $45 grooming bill ever couple months in exchange for a dog that doesn't shed and is mostly hypo-allergenic. (Poodles have hair, not fur. No fur equals no dander, which is what most people are allergic to.) I have friends that think I'm crazy for being that way, but I also have no problem paying for someone to shear my sheep and llamas, or do the ponies' feet, or any of the many other things we eat the cost of because it's just easier that way.


Pierre came to us from the local animal control years ago when Mary finally realized that Putz, her ancient toy poodle, wasn't going to live forever. I remember Pierre being on a leash twice. We never bothered after that.

He's getting old- though we don't know exactly how old- and it's beginning to show. He was an adult when he came to us eight or nine years ago, so his age is an elusive number, the way it is with most adopted dogs. In my eyes he's always been a coppery champagne color, and I try not to notice the gray creeping into his muzzle and ears. He tries to be the energetic dog we all know and love, but we've come to notice he needs more and more time to rest and recoup after a long day.

Lately, he hasn't been obeying as well. Mainly because he hasn't been hearing as well...

It's impossible for me to think of how the farm will be after him. I have trouble remembering it before him. I drive down the driveway slowly, and when he comes running to the car- his one and only vice- I simply open my door and let him hop in. The ride to my parking space is enough to pacify him. As much as my llama gets annoyed if I see anyone else in the barnyard before him, Pierre refuses to stop hopping on me till I pet him first. Skeeter can wait, he insists, the world revolves around poodles, not terriers.

At least, my world does.

No comments:

Post a Comment